Vitamin D Deficiency

I'm still not a fan of the term "Vitamin D Deficiency, because basic physiology suggests otherwise"

Posted by Dr. Colin Ross on April 22, 2022

So, I'm still not a fan of the term "Vitamin D Deficiency".

Going back to very basic Physiology Medical school year 1. The purpose of Vitamin D, PTH and Alpha-hydroxylase is to balance out your levels of CALCIUM, through feedback inhibition. No need to discuss from the cardiac cycle to neuronal transmission why a balanced level of calcium is vital to survival.

So, if calcium levels are normal, where is the deficiency of vitamin D or are we trying to "treat" feedback inhibition by supplementing Vitamin D?

Maybe a person suffering from chronic depression does not walk on a regular basis hence activating Vitamin D7 in the skin from sunshine exposure as the first phase of Vitamin D conversion to Vitamin D25 and so sedentarism, lack of sunshine exposure was what led to the lower levels of vitamin D25 which the body compensated for by increasing PTH production hence Calcium levels remain normal?

... Photo by Jordan Stewart on Unsplash

I remember 25 years ago when my colleagues ridiculed me for suggesting that using an A1C level of 6.0 did not fit the basic science metabolic understanding without knowing the random blood sugar levels for diagnosing someone as a type 2 diabetic or when we discussed that checking a fasting random blood sugar level in the morning for a type 2 diabetic is an indirect measure of their basal insulin stores and not the bolus ones. Look at how the diagnostic guidelines and target treatment goals for A1C levels for type 2 diabetics have changed.

... Photo by Dr. Colin Ross

Sorry, I am not a fan of vitamin D supplementation because basic physiology suggest that a functioning PTH, Kidney and small intestine know how to keep calcium levels balanced. SUNSHINE, LOW IMPACT AEROBICS, CALCIUM RICH FOODS, LIFESTYLE.