The One Who Showed MERCY

"What should a Physician and a Samaritan have in common with a hospital ship called 'The MERCY'?"

Posted by Dr. Colin Ross on July 7, 2022

What should a Physician and a Samaritan have in common with a hospital ship called "The MERCY"?

Reading a little bit of every subject can help one develop a better understanding of human nature and develop the art of being knowledgable -- even being disagreable with persons who do not look like you or think like you.

Although most practicing clinicians tend to be the Sons and Daughters of financially and economically stable parents, the nature of your profession sooner or later will place you in an exam room with a patient who did not and will likely never live your experience.

a study with table and book on top, a fire in the background Photo by Pavan Trikutam on Unsplash

I learned about incest by reading the DSM 5 but also reading Genesis 19:30-38. I not only lived with alcoholism, learned about about alcoholism from AA, but I read Genesis 9:21.

Not only did a relative of mine die as the victim of being hit by a drunk driver and another relative of mine committed suicide, but I read Exodus chapters 11-12 where a death angel killed the first born children of Egypt and there was a person named Sampson in the bible who was allowed to commit suicide.

Then I read an article about how to develop great bedside manner with patients, but a more impressive story about developing great bedside manner was written by a Physician named LUKE titled "The good Samaritan". Luke 10:25-37.

by the sea in the morning Photo by frank mckenna on Unsplash

We develop empathy not by being granted a license "To practice", but we develop empathy when like the ship MERCY and the good samaritan, we can stop by a place and attend to the fallen patient nobody wanted because they did not grow up like us, but we learned to show MERCY even though the fallen man was unconcious with a low GCS. SHOW MERCY.

picture of Dr. Colin Ross Photo by Dr. Colin Ross